Idly rice - 4 cups
Urad dal - 1 cup
Fenugreek seeds - 1 tsp
- Soak idly rice in the water for about 6 hours.
- Soak urad dal and fenugreek together for about 6 hours.
- Grind the rice first and then urad dal.
- Add required quantity of water while grinding.
- Now mix both batter together with salt.
- Ferment the batter by keeping aside overnight.
- Mix the batter well and pour batter in the idly pan.
- Steam for about 15 minutes.
Moong dal - 1/2 cup
Tomato - 1
Onion - 1/4
Green chili - 5
Turmeric powder - a pinch
Asafoetida - a pinch
Sambar powder - 1 tsp
- Fry moong dal for about 3 minutes and then pressure cook it with asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,curry leaves and onion.
- Saute well until onion turns translucent.
- Add tomato & green chili and saute well.
- Add this to the cooked dal and add required water.
- Add sambar powder and salt.
- Give a boil and now our sambar is ready to eat with idly..