Rice - 1 cup
Tamarind - lemon size ball
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Channa dal - 2 tsp
Urad dal - 2 tsp
Peanuts - 2 tsp
Red chili - 7 or 8
Hing - a pinch
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
Cumin powder - 1/4 tsp
Red chili powder - 1/4 tsp
Salt - 2 ot 3 tsp
- Cook the rice and allow it to cool.
- Make a thick tamarind extract and keep it aside.
- Heat 3 tsp of oil in a pan and add mustard seeds,red chili,channa dal,urad dal and peanuts.
- Saute them until all dals cook and add curry leaves.
- Now add hing and turmeric powder and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add tamarind extract and allow to boil.
- After 5 minutes add coriander powder,cumin powder,chili powder and salt.
- Boil this gravy until it becomes thick paste and also the oil separates from the gravy.
- Take required gravy and add to the cooked rice.
- Mix it well and serve with pickle or vadagam.
You can preserve the remaining paste in an air tight container.
Keep refrigerate and use as and when required.